European Project Committee (EPC)
(former Yugoslavia Relief Committee)
It is important to mention here that most of our North American Apostolic Christian Churches (Nazarean) have roots in Europe, and specifically Eastern Europe. During and after the WWII, Eastern Europe suffered much, and members of our Nazarene churches in many countries of this region were persecuted by authoritarian regimes that limited freedom of religion. This resulted in declining church membership, poverty, and loss of will and resources to evangelize. In some countries our members were jailed as conscientious objectors and their families suffered much while waiting for the return of their fathers, husbands, brothers, nephews, back to normal life.
In light of the above, efforts were undertaken in the Windsor ACC church in the 1950’s to help the needy brethren in those countries. Out of that effort, Yugoslavia Relief Committee was formed there. During that time period, the Committee members were accountable to the Windsor elders. In 2010 The Committee changed its name to European Projects Committee since Yugoslavia ceased to exist as a country and in order to avoid conflict between its own activities and objectives and those of Eastern Europe Relief Committee from West Akron, USA. At approximately same time, EPC became part of ACCMBC, accountable to the Trustees of ACCMBC, and obligated to operate according to all ACCMBC governing documents and procedures.
EPC is either currently helping or was assisting in recent past the following projects in Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Romania and Ukraine:
- HOUSING PROJECT/FUND (provides financial help to our mostly young members so that they can obtain affordable housing);
- SELF-HELP PROJECT/FUND (provides financial assistance for starting a small business to combat unemployment that is a common issue for all EE countries)
- SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES (to help the young obtain education and get employment);
- SONG BOOKS – PUBLISHING PROJECT– ZH Hymnal. The Romanian ZH are printed and being distributed to our EE brethren and a shipment was delivered from N. America in February 2012;
- MEDICAL AID PROGRAM – medications, diapers for the elderly, bandages, wound dressing and other medical supplies; treatments or hospital costs;
- BELGRADE CHILDREN EYE HOSPITAL BUILDING IMPROVEMENT.
There is an ongoing need for your prayers and donations, since situation in Eastern Europe is deteriorating still. There is a high unemployment rate and it is difficult to provide medical aid and housing to many but especially hard for younger couples with children.
How to Help
To discuss opportunities for this cause, please contact the chairman. (EPC)
To donate for this cause, please visit the Donations page.